Avant-Garde Experimental Bands and Artists
Top » Music » Styles » Avant-Garde » Experimental » Bands and Artists» Einstürzende Neubauten
» Sakamoto, Ryuichi
» 99 Names of God
» Deine Lakaien
» Box Car Racer
» Factory 81
» Hype, The
» Residents, The
» Hafler Trio, The
» Anastasio, Trey
» Zoviet France
» Scarborough, Laura
» Badly Drawn Boy
» Blue Man Group
» Anderson, Laurie
» Bongo Poets, The
» Steinman, Jim
» Lowery 66
» Add N to (X)
» Paradise Lost
» Dead Can Dance
» Eno, Brian
» Belew, Adrian
» godspeed you black emperor!
» Click Click
» Blegvad, Peter
» Captain Beefheart
» Godspeed You! Black Emperor
- Alexanderson, Magnus - A composer of electro-acoustic music and electric guitar musician, concentrating on experimental music using electric devices.
- Atelier Theremin - An experimental music project from Berlin based on avant-garde electronics and spoken-word performance, using the oldest and newest tools of electronic music. With biography, reviews, concert information, MP3 song samples and CD information.
- Aware - An experimental freeform music co-operative working out of the East Midlands, England. With background and upcoming shows.
- Barnes, David - Artist creating ambient, industrial, experimental, art rock music. With free MP3 downloads and RealAudio clips.
- Bastard Children of Bozo, The - A musical project/mini-orchestra creating and performing unusual music. With background, pictures, and sound files.
- Big Block 454 - The official non-ironic eebsite of this post-neo-avant garde band. Featuring experimental music, art, free music and instrument downloads.
- Blech, The - International band that produced eclectic improvised music from 1985-1996. With releases, profiles, photos, and reviews.
- Bran Flakes, The - Experimental music project employing a variety of found samples and sounds.
- Brekekekexkoaxkoax - Austin, Texas-based experimental sound art project. With discography and email newsletter sign-up.
- Brutum Fulmen - An electro-acoustic musique concrete experimental noise project. Including full illustrated discography, MP3 and RealAudio sound files, band news, and ordering information.
- Buddy Hitton Band, The - A band creating "angry accoustic" and experimental techno. With background, performance dates and MP3s.
- Butz - A New York City improvizational rock band. With gig dates, releases, MP3s, press, and links.
- Caeser Pink and The Imperial Orgy - A surreal multi-media experience bucking the norms of convention. With profile, press, pictures, audio, video, news, lyrics, and links.
- Captain Captain - A ST. Louis-based experimental rock/electronics/improv 4-piece, featuring cut-and-paste mathematical compositions, angular guitar rock, electronics, toys, and often flippant, non-lingual vocals.
- Cheryl O - An experimental, improvisational cellist using electronics and loops. Includes background, upcoming performances, and link to artist mp3.com site for music downloads.
- Chicago No Wave - This website documents the secret Chicago No Wave Underground (1992-Present.) Quintron, Monotrona, The Flying Luttenbachers, The Scissor Girls, Bobby Conn, Math et al. A great resource for all things experimental and rocking in Chicago.
- Circle 9 Industries - Home of experimental ambient sound artist AMF, plus resources for the samble-based composer. Also the homesite of hiphop group "Old Scratch", and the techno monster known as The 4-Fifty-8.
- Coleclough, Jonathan - Information about this musician, including excerpts from CDs, reviews and forthcoming gigs.
- Computer Jones - A post-rock/experimental/emo/improvisational band from the Midwest. With profiles, MP3s, pictures, and links.
- Control R Workshop - A free improvisation collective based in Oakland, California. With performance information, background, pictures, flyers, MP3s, and links.
- Dede, Mercan - The homepage for this Golden Horn Productions artist, an experimental Turkish music composer living in Canada.
- DeLaurenti, Christopher - A composer creating sonic assault in the tradition of Beethoven, Ellington, Stravinsky and Xenakis. With sound clips, squibs, composers, rants, comic covers of evil and even a perfunctory parallel universe.
- Disasters in Phlegm - Site dedicated to the English band whose music combined many different styles and genres and was executed by only two musicians.
- Dispatch - Tokyo-based improvisation, earworks, and links to artists performing in and around the Tokyo area.
- Dissecting Table - The legendary Japanese master of harsh, driving, unpredictable post-industrial excellence. With news, discography, and biography.
- Duct - Home of the Saskatoon, Saskatchewan sound poetry and music ensemble. With brief history and contact information.
- DypXperince - A jazz blues experimentalist project inspired by the likes of Philip Glass, Led Zeppelin, Oscar Peterson, John Cage, and many other artists across genres. With history, pictures, discography, and writings.
- Elemenopy - Official page for the project from Chicago. With links to zipped soundfiles.
- Emergent Music I: Voices From The Edge of Chaos - Music project produced with the same modeling techniques used to study complex systems and synthesize artificial life. It advances a new approach to creating music and suggests a new genre: emergent music.
- Esau - A UK Bristol based band. With MP3s, reviews, art/photo galleries, news, discography and links.
- Eskalation - German project creating "different" music with bassoon, wind synthesizer and sampled percussion. With release information, brief profile, and sound clips.
- Evolution Control Committee - Media collage music and radio with a wicked sense of humor. Includes downloadable MP3s, archived broadcasts, and release information.
- Experiencing Difficulty - A Vancouver based experimental group on Sinusoidal Records. With background, audio, discography, reviews, contact and booking information.
- Flowers of Disgust, The - Experimental project creating "viking barbershop cyberthrash" music. With background, discography, audio, and press.
- Flying Luttenbachers, The - Contains definitive information such as discography, interviews and news about this premier punk jazz/free death/no wave project.
- Flying Snowman Productions - A songwriter/producer/guitarist in Belgium, specializing in Eno-inspired and sampled/ethnic synthesized soundscapes, recordings and productions.
- Friday Without Hate - Original group compositions and MP3s, plus pointers to resources for other musicians and collaboration opportunities.
- Frogtoboggan Gamelan Spontificus Cloudland - Dedicated to the creation and dissemination of unconventional musical hybrids.
- From Quagmire - Mysterious and weird art-song drift project. With release information and background.
- F-Space - An experimental punk/noise band from San Francisco, California on Mobilization Records. With audio downloads and pictures.
- Gline, The - A one-man collective of sound, with stimulants for both the senses and the sensibilities.
- Goatsnif - Artist who has been active in several music projects. Includes MP3 downloads, pictures, and links.
- Godspeed You Black Emperor! - A Canadian project combining experimental, rock and orchestral music. With news, discography, press, pictures, contacts and links.
- Goldstein, Malcolm - New York Press review of "The Seasons: Vermont".
- Hafler Trio, The - Project site with discography and new release information.
- Hagen, Greg - Featuring information on this artists' ambient/noise projects, radio show, poetry, and oil pastel works.
- Haitchc - Official pages for the Vancouver based producer and DJ. With profile, audio clips, releases, press, and information on Plutonian Nights radio show he hosts.
- halon - Official site for the Berkley, Michigan-based rock/electronic/experimental group. With news, background, audio samples, and related links.
- Headley, Greg - Personal site for the composer and guitarist, with information on available music and upcoming shows.
- HollEr - An electronic.ambient project formed by Henry Anthony Otero and Eduardo Alberto Roses. With audio, release information, lyrics, gear list, and links.
- Hollydrift - An avant-garde/experimental band from Wisconsin. With reviews, news, and sound files.
- Homelife - Experimental band with a revolving group of members. With background, pictures, and CD shopping.
- i.a. bericochea - A minimal experimental music project. With MP3 clips and songs.
- Infinite Number of Sounds - Project creating music in styles as broad and eclectic as the name implies, ranging from rock to electronic to jazz and all things in-between. With news, background, and link to artist mp3.com site for sound files.
- Intervals - Live collaboration of Eliot Bates, oud and electronics, and Brad Wright, violin and electronics. Long textural pieces which are based on Turkish modal systems, but with an avant-garde edge.
- io - A joint performative, musical activity practiced by human and non-human (technological) actors. With background, sound files, artwork, and performance proposal for promoters, venues, and organizations.
- Kaderci - A cutting-edge experimental/industrial artist who works with Turkish, Afghani, and Druse music recordings and textures to create new soundscapes.
- Kaiser, Jeff - Biography, discography and reviews of this composer, conductor and musician.
- Karlsson, Erik Mikael - Swedish composer creating experimental electronic music for loudspeaker-orchestras. With background, news, performance information, works, and press.
- Karmafarm - Self-generating music, noise and soundscapes. With artist background, news, equipment details, sound files, and links.
- Keller, Alex - Sound art and new music from the artist who has been involved in creating experimental music since 1988. Includes information on homemade electronic instruments, audio files, and a resource page for sound artists.
- Kelley, Greg - Information and activities of this trumpet improviser.
- Kez el Fez - Avant garde music projects. With snippets of information, pictures, links, and writings.
- Kievman, Carson - Official page for the multi-media/opera and symphonic works of the artist, including a gallery of photographs, animated show of several multi-media works, and RealAudio samples.
- Kompassion Deficit Disorder - Experimental electronic and ambient project. With MP3s and links for more information.
- K-Rad - A Chicago-based experimental, electronic, ambient and industrial project. With discography, MP3s, background, show dates, pictures, and discography.
- Lams, Victor - A keyboard player, composer, and songwriter who writes off-beat pop songs melding odd, often humerous lyrics with strong electronica and jazz sensibilities.
- Last Days of Russell, The - An experimental urban music project. With background, news, RealAudio files, and links.
- Lavelle, Brian - The official website of the electronic musician. Covering releases, projects, performances, and news.
- Law - Dark, challenging, unique experimental electronics. Project page on the Triumvirate website, with release and ordering information.
- Lawly, Susan - Featuring news, releases, soundfiles and information on Whitehouse.
- LDT - UK experimental project site. With influences, background, release information, and links to download songs, hear streams, or buy music.
- Ludavico Experiment - Official site for the Michigan-based band playing experimental rock. With schedule, lyrics, audio, and pictures.
- Mahoning, The - Post-modern hard disk manipulation-based electronic music project. With performance information, audio clips and links.
- Makihari, Toshi - Percussion, sound and performance media.
- Malcolm, Greg - Experimental music artist site, with pictures, liner notes, MP3 song samples, media reviews and current news.
- Marotta, Larry - Details the activities of the Ohio-based experimental guitarist.
- McLeod, Jeff - Improviser and experimental guitarist, with reviews, project information, shows, gear and sound samples.
- Membrane Conspiracy - Eclectic music borrowing from goth-hop, art-pop and psych-folk by artist Sean Hopp. Multimedia site requires Flash for viewing.
- Midget Handjob - Band made up of previous members of Misguided Youth, Clawhammer, Circle Jerks, and others. With pictures, member profiles, news, and show dates.
- My Glass Beside Yours - Viola, autoharp, xylochime, and lo-fi music project on Silber Records. With discography, pictures, and link to project mp3.com site for song downloads and streaming.
- Nagoski, Ian - Hyperlinked lists of performances, installations, and recordings.
- New Anthropomorphology, The - Experimental music, misanthropy and disinformation.
- Olethros - Project trying to break the usual genre barriers through the introduction of strange tunings, vocal style and unorthodox arrangements and rhythms. Includes MP3s, reviews and comments, and related links.
- Orange Robot - Official home for the conceptual Detroit acoustic techno, ambient Sunday morning audio excursion of medicinal silicon. With background and MP3s.
- Orange Stoole Chariot - Tampa Bay fusion band playing some combination of eclectic jazz to punk rock. Inspired by John Zorn, Frank Zappa, King Crimson, Mr. Bungle and John Cage.
- Out After - An experimental/electronic/idm/glitch project. With MP3s for download and listening, plus brief history and related links.
- Overheard - A site for Lucid, After The Flood, DASL-Zen Tread, and other related musical projects.
- Oxygen Ensemble - Seattle based experimental multi-media improvization collective, utilizing a large cast of musicians, live artist creations, and visual imagery. With news, pictures, history, MP3s, performance dates, and links.
- Phillips, John - An overview of compositions and multimedia installations by John Phillips and Carolyn Healy. Interactive electronic soundscapes created in unusual locations.
- Pine Tree State Mind Control - Using subliminal messages embedded in experimental music to create a happier, more productive society. With songs for download, news, and links.
- Pink Noise - A dark ambient/industrial/goth/noise project from Russia. With pictures, sound files, and links.
- Pin Pin Sugar - Avant-garde, jazz, art-core, beats, free-noise, and shifty lounge experimental guitar/d'n'b project. With band biography, tour dates, discography, and links.
- Primal Image - Review and information about this one piece/sound installation by Alan Lamb.
- Professor Kermit - Lo-fi acoustic murk, snappy silly techno, and shrieky feedback tinged music. Featuring a large selection of artist MP3s.
- Project 29 - Electronic music experiment from Detroit. Featuring free MP3s.
- Protagonist, The - Official website of this Cold Meat Industry artist. With news, sounds and pictures, and merchandise information.
- Public Works Productions/The Tape-beatles - An experimental media-art band that make CDs and 'expanded cinema' performances using machines as their sole instruments. With group news, online ordering, and information about anti-copyright practices in cultural work.
- Puzzle of Light - An experimental music ensemble creating sound sculpture musical instruments. With member biographies and project information.
- Quiet American Project, The - Composed and manipulated high quality field recordings from Vietnam. Trips for the headphone tourist, available in the MP3 format.
- Quique - A collection of sites about the music and other projects from the Tokyo, Japan based group. Featuring the Ultrasonny experimental music project, with audio stream and MP3 sound samples.
- Rainjacket / Unjin Yeo - Official site for the experimental/ambient producer based in Vancouver, Canada. With audio downloads, background, discography, and booking/contact information.
- Recreational Research Foundation - Electronic/experimental music project site, with RealAudio and MP3s.
- Remora - Music project by Brian John Mitchell of QRD zine and Silber Records. With discography, background, pictures, and related links.
- Rodavian Institute, The - Electronic artist influenced by artists from Devo to Joy Division. With general information, MP3s, and related links.
- Scallions, The - An experimental group recording avant garde/power pop music. With background, lyrics, discography, news, and link to group mp3.com pages for song downloads.
- Shalabi Effect - A group from Montreal, Canada, creating an improvised mix of Middle Eastern and Indian traditional music with 1960s psychedelia and droned textural bass and electronics.
- Sharp, Elliott - Information on his music including descriptions of CDs, images, downloadable scores and links.
- Silence Syndrome - Experimental/ambient music group, attempting to use music as a tongue for magick to speak.
- Skorpio, Niko - Experimental electronic music with a dark edge, varying from sick-hop and lo-fi techno to illbient, and dark-ambient. With news, information, interviews, and audio samples.
- Small Life Form - Computer-driven organic ambient music made from original samples of bass, guitar, and microphone manipulation. With discography and link to mp3.com artist pages for song downloads and audio stream.
- Souto, Diego - Industry, experimentalism and obscure dance patterns give shape to this avant garde chapman stick player's music.
- St. John's Eve - Goth and industrial-influenced experimental artist page on IUMA.com, with MP3s, CD and band information.
- Talman, Jeff - Artist creating site-specific sound works in large architectural spaces. With news, pictures of multi-channel sound field installations, press, links, and texts on soundspace theory.
- Tangle, Rex - Musical artist entwining ethnic, jazz, industrial, instrumental, and electronic music with good old rock and roll. With biography, news, release information, sound files, and links.
- Tectonicplate - Official site of this visual and music project that fuses audio with an interactive environment as a self contained entity.
- Thomson, Phil - A Vancouver-based sound artist. Featuring descriptions of his work, links to sound files and an extensive links section with links to resources on theory, politics and experimental audio.
- .tiln - Digital sound works of Marc McNulty, with downloadable songs and recommended links.
- Timeblind - A veteran producer of experimental and other sounds. With news, discography, press, upcoming shows, and related links.
- Tiny Hairs - A six piece post-rock collective from Chicago, whose spontaneous instrumental compositions are informed by noise, electronic music, free jazz, rock and 20th century classical music.
- Transients, The - Band based out of Battle Creek, Michigan, playing their own brand of noise and rock guitar over a brain imprinting bass. With background, show dates, pictures and links.
- Trundlebox - Artist site on IUMA with song downloads, thumb piano, found object instruments, sonic exploration, trans-ethnic loops, experimentation with materials and form. Part of the Micropiano Project.
- Tundra Survey, The - Information, streaming music, upcoming shows, and photos of this Chicago five-piece avant-classical band.
- Twink - The adventures of a musician playing with toy pianos, including news, outside links and downloadable MP3s.
- Uncle Vito - Official site for the improvised music project combining jazz, funk, drum and bass, metal and other styles. With news, background, pictures, show dates, and RealAudio clips.
- Union Wireless - A London-based Anglo/Spanish music collective. With discography, games, and contact information.
- Unsound - Cap'n Mikee's ensemble for improvised electroacoustic music and low-budget performance art.
- Vlor - An improv guitar/acoustic shoegazer project with Brian John Mitchell of QRD zine and Russell Halasz. Includes discography and link to mp3.com pages for song downloads and audio stream.
- von KleinSmid, Meri - A composer of experimental music and sound art. Featuring music downloads and artist news.
- Vozdookh - Contains mp3s, stories, and photos about the Belarussian RIO-bands Naiznanku and Rational diet.
- v-T-z - A producer, composer and recording artist combining electronic music and flamenco or other elements. With background, MP3 clips, and release purchasing information.
- Wayfarer Project, The - The electro-acoustic music of Lawrence Moore, combining influences of electronic music, jazz, 20th century classical music, new age, and world beat.
- Wicker Pallet - Music project covering an array of styles, from tribal rock to avant garde to ambiance and back. With MP3s, background, and related bands and links.
- WorkSinProgress - This site for the band "WorkSinProgress" contains mainly un-released and hard to find songs in the real audio format, as well as abstract photography reminiscent of the experimental sound textures.
- yesaroun' Duo - An exploratory ensemble performing an eclectic mix of late 20th and 21st century art music written for saxophone and percussion, as well as their own creative arrangements.
- Zeb - Auburn Washington's own avant-garde, experimental performance band, specializing in aesthetic torture and anti-music pop. With biography, manifesto, sounds, and video clip.
- Zeromoon - Documenting experimental, noise, fringe, electro-acoustic and free music by v., second violin, -1348-, and new carrollton.
- Zoviet France - Producer of some of the most innovative experiments with technology and ethnic music sampling for the past 18 years.
- Z, Pamela - Performance artist and composer from San Francisco